Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Me & Continental Drift


When I about 9 or 10 years old, I used to look at a globe and wonder why South America and Africa looked like they should fit together jigsaw style. I began to become haunted with questions about the earth, how it's parts realted with one another, began forming maps in my head of structures and places. When I got to high school, but before I made the kinds of friends that got me running around and getting into trouble, I spent a few lonely lunch-hours in the library looking at filmstrips and reading Latin quotations (don't ask me why). I only remember one of the Latin quotes ("difficultatis patrocinia praeteximus seginitae" ...sp?). But, from the filmstrips on continental drift, I learned that some well-known geographers (Wegener, Tuzo Wilson) asked the same questions. I think my interest in the subject was one of the reasons I took Geography at university and one of the reasons I became a teacher. What powerful things motivate you? What things you've picked up along the way will influence your future?

1 comment:

  1. what the &*%$? when im old like 27 ill think about that right now i just want to get through high school i think 10 years from now if i look back ill find something but maybe i don't know what it is that will be the eye-opener how am i supposed to know :>

    ReplyDelete